With everyone spending more time at home I figured this would be a wonderful opportunity to share my family's favorite recipe with you, Spaghetti & Meatballs.
This is probably my favorite dish to cook and eat, It's such a wonderful comfort food with minimal ingredients. This recipe does take time and please don't cut the cooking time on the sauce short, I promise it is worth it.
So here is my Spaghetti & Meatball Recipe that converted my non-Italian food-loving husband over to the good side.
Spaghetti & Meatballs
time: 2+ hrs
1. Get a large pot of water boiling and a large bowl of ice water.
Core the tops of the tomatoes and make an X at the top with a knife. Use tongs to place the tomatoes in the boiling water for 10-15 seconds. Remove and place directly into the ice water. Peel the skin off. Repeat this for all of the tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes into large cubes and set aside for later.
2. Get a large pot - we use a Ceramic Coated Cast Iron Dutch Oven for this.
Heat 2 tablespoons of Olive oil and add the whole peeled garlic cloves. When the sides start to brown, remove them and set aside to cool.
3. In a bowl, combine the ground meat, bread crumbs, egg, parsley, basil, oregano, sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Combine with your hands and make 8-10 meatballs of even size.
4. Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil and begin to brown the meatballs on all sides. After the sides are browned, remove and place in the refrigerator until later. Do not clean the pan - this flavor is important for the sauce
5. Add more olive oil to the pan. Either mince the garlic or use a garlic press. Quickly add the tomatoes right after so the garlic doesn't burn. Place the lid over the sauce and set a timer for 45 minutes
6. After 45 minutes, add a few pinches of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Place whole bay leaves in the sauce ( best if tied with kitchen twine). Place the lid back on and let it cook for another 45 minutes - stirring occasionally.
7. Now we add about a teaspoon of each: sea salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and parsley. I really hate to measure spices while cooking so always do a taste test and add more of what you like. Place the meatballs in the pan so they will cook evenly in the sauce. Cook for 30 more minutes.
Serve hot over Spaghetti Noodles
Comments will be approved before showing up.